In 1950, St. Anthony De Padua Catholic Church, with an Alamo facade was built to minister to the Alamo Cement Quarry workers and their families that lived in the surrounding housing. The cement plant abandoned the quarry in the 1980s, and the area became gentrified and redeveloped. The church adapted to its new parishioners and needed a master plan. The 13,000-square-foot social hall was the initial piece of the plan and with the use of simple white forms was designed to quietly sit alongside the church and create a broad but shallow elevated plaza that stretches across the front of both buildings. The deep porch allows for social events to move freely from the social hall out onto the plaza as a place to nurture community.

View all projects
Download PDF

Project Details

  • San Antonio, TX